Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Technical Difficulties And Other News

Hey guys!

So my computer has decided it's going to pack it in. Good timing hey? Over the past two weeks it's had two major crashes that have required a forced shutdown. I'm not sure what caused the crashes but ever since, my computer has been getting slower and slower with responding and overheating quite quickly. I can really only have one program running at a time, which isn't really an option when you have multiple readings to do for classes. My parents are LOVELY people though and I am going to be able to replace the darned thing at the end of October when I go up to London for the day. We have a student reading week from the 27th of October to the 3rd of November and I have to start my major essays that week so I'm going to go up on the Saturday. I think I might call ahead and get the computer put aside for me just so I know I'm not wasting a trip to the store.

Why wait until then you ask? Well I visited the computer provider in town here but the don't carry the model I'm looking for, nor will the order it in. I CAN order one myself from the website but I really worry about making that kind of order over here. I'd rather pick it up in person.

Other than that, it's been a busy week. My roommates all moved in on Sunday! Harriet, Evie and Hayley are a lovely bunch of girls so I think we're going to have a good year together. I'm the oldest in the house which makes sense as Uni housing is only given to first year students and internationals. It's been pretty loud on the block with a lot of parties but I guess that's to be expected. It's called "Freshers Week" right now, which is basically a University organized party week. The rest of the year is going to be boring comparatively. (I hope!) I feel a bit bad because I'm really not a drinking/partying kind of person so I don't go to the parties at the bar. I DO visit with the neighbors though, who are all nice people so far. During these visits, I've somehow ended up looking after the rather drunk people. They're all quite happy for the company while they either vomit or sit outside but I find it a bit funny. I honestly don't mind making sure they're doing okay, I'm the only sober one so it makes sense.

Tonight will be interesting. It's the biggest party at the bar so I'll most likely end up holding someones hair again. I'm not going to the bar, I'm going to try and get my reading done for class tomorrow. As long as I get that done before people start stumbling back to the housing block I'm happy. I have earplugs too so hopefully sleep won't be too much of an issue.

As a last little note, I've started running finally! There is a gorgeous little gravel trail through the park right by my house and it's frequented by dog walkers, other runners and people walking to class. It's very misty in the morning so the light through the trees makes for a very pretty run.

See you next Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kirsten, you'll get tired of holding peoples hair back.....England is known for their pints!!!! and first year students well you know the drift...You'll come across more of your own......glad you are getting into running, that's a healthy alternative. Hope your classes are interesting

    ReplyDelete