Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Final Countdown

Hello!

I'm in my last two weeks of study abroad! Doesn't seem real quite yet. I'll likely be in denial about it ending until I've touched down in Vancouver. I honestly can't wait to see Canada again though. I really miss the place. I've heard some of you back home (*ahem* Calgary *ahem*) were given an extra dump of snow as a special spring treat. I feel for you all. Apparently Kamloops got a bit of it too, as my parents so graciously showed me via FaceTime. I have missed the snow but snow in May can kindly take a hike. I hope it warms up to skin cooking heat for everyone soon.

I'm writing this entry wedged between two hand in dates and amidst piles of revision notes. Or maybe in the garden, shirking my responsibilities.  The great thing about reading this all on a blog is that you will never know which. Okay yes you will. I'm up my eyeballs in dry translated texts of about 90-150 pages long each, searching for major points to memorize. Oh and its raining out today. Thank goodness this will be over on May 13th at 12pm. (That's 4am Kamloops time I do believe.) My brain hurts. I need chocolate and tea to get though this and retain my sanity.

Anyway! I've been thinking more and more about my whole study abroad year, which of course has led me to examine a lot of my life as a whole. I won't bore you all with the details but right now I seem to be stuck in a sort of identity crisis. I've worked hard to get here and do this year abroad but now it's over. So what next? Graduate? Am I ready to have a degree? Am I ready to be an adult? Is this all just exam stress getting to me? AAAAGH! Excuse me while I curl up in bed with a juice box and cartoons. 

On a lighter note, Summerball prep has begun. "But isn't Summerball Friday night?" Why yes it is. But I've learned that you can't just get ready the day of Summerball. Oh no. DAYS beforehand you must exfoliate off two layers of skin then slap on some tanner. Between note pages you scroll Instagram and Pinterest for makeup ideas and hairstyles. The day before, you buff yourself out again and then slap on MORE tan. God forbid you're not some shade of orangy brown on the day. Finally Summerball arrives and you're curling, primping, cursing eyeliner unevenness, dressing and redressing before changing your mind and going back to your fist outfit choice. It all reminds me a bit of Grad back in high school. Except this time my Grandma isn't here to help me get ready. And there is significantly more alcohol involved. Have I mentioned day Brits have day drinking down to a science? My liver will not thank me on Saturday.

That's all I have this week!  I leave you all with a picture of the first stages of Summer Ball set up! I'll let you all know how the actual evening went on next week's blog post.


So sunny!

Have a great week guys!

-Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment