Wednesday, October 9, 2013

One Month Down!

Hello!

So I have survived my first month of study abroad! Excuse me while I throw myself a little party!




Okay, I'm good now. Honestly while the first month sucked I'm really enjoying myself! It doesn't seem like it, I'm sure but now that I know the general layout of where to go things have been a lot smoother. I've also been changing my running route to go through the residential areas near my housing so I'll get to know those areas too. The houses around here are gorgeous and rich. You can actually tell that this city has money based off the houses. I suppose you can do that in Canada too, but this is more of a "this is an estate passed down through generations from the first great Earl of Sussex" kind of money. Old money. 

As far as everyday life goes, it's been quite boring. I'm playing catch up with reading for all of my classes, especially the literature ones because students were given reading lists to complete over the summer and I didn't have those lists. I was placed into classes the day after I got here, and classes commenced two days later so I didn't have time to read the novels associated with each class. As a result, my time is spent in class, sleeping or reading. Add in the occasional shopping trip for necessities like food and sunlight and you have life in a nutshell. Not too different than it was back home! 

The only thing that has really bothered me in the past week was missing my Dad's birthday on October 4th. I was able to catch him on Facetime for an hour before he left for work (yay eight hour time differences) but it's still not quite the same as being there. I know I shouldn't complain, Facetime is the next best thing to being there and it's not like 50 years ago when all correspondence would have been letters. I am quite lucky that video chat is so easy and available to everyone. But I did miss his birthday and I feel bad about it. Sorry Dad!

Well I better wrap this up. Sorry if this entry has been a bit odd, I've just spent the last two hours discussing surrealism in literature and a normal world view hasn't quite set in yet. I think I need a cup of tea. That'll restore some normality.




Cheers guys!

2 comments:

  1. I love your new mug! Yup life is life...no matter where you live it and after the excitement of being in a new place becomes more of the norm. That's Life....(a song by Tony Bennett)....when is your first break from school? RU able to go somewhere and travel a bit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new mug makes me happy! My first break from school is from October 26th to November 3rd. I'm going up to London!

      Delete