Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Someone Out There Hates Havenstoke

Hello!

In case you missed my saga of misfortune, here is a recap. Last Wednesday the internet decided it wasn't going to work for more than ten minutes. Annoying, as I need the internet to do things like a.) update this blog and b.) do my class readings. I tried all morning to get stuff done but 11:30am rolled around and I had to head out into the torrential rain to get my rear to class. I got soaked on the walk and had to sit through two hours of lecture in soggy jeans. Ick. After class I made my way back home only to find out the roof is leaking into my bedroom through my overhead light. That's a lovely safety hazard to come home to. I called Accommodation and was told they'd send someone "as soon as they could". Maintenance turned up about 15 minutes later, removed my light fixture and basically told me there's nothing they can do until the leak dries out. So I put a bucket down on my floor to catch the drips and hunkered in for a rather dark night. The internet came back for a few minutes and I was able to bang out a fast (and very short) post but that was about it. The following is the thanksgiving picture that I wasn't able to upload!

Starting Left: Ellie, Zoe, Evie, Nikki,
Hayley, Harriet. 

Back to my tale of Wednesday. I posted my blog entry just as the internet kicked out, and started to read my book. Five minutes later I hear a rattling on the bathroom door. Our bathroom door lock is notorious for sticking so I ignored it until the tenth, rather frantic rattle. A second after that I heard poor Harriet bang on the door. Yup. Harriet was locked in the bathroom. So I had to call Accommodation for the second time. I will admit, I laughed pretty hard over the whole thing. (Sorry Harriet!) Maintenance came about 10 minutes after my giggly call for help and Harriet was set free. We were told not to lock the bathroom door and they'd get us a replacement lock the next day, presumably when they came to fix my leaky light/ceiling. 

Think we were in the clear after all of that nonsense? Oh no. At about 8pm, Evie flicks on her bedroom light and shorts out all the lights on the ground floor. Poor Harriet was trying to cook dinner at this point and had to finish making her ratatouille in the dark because Accommodation is closed. I think Karma felt bad for us because thirty minutes after the lights go out, Harriet spotted one of the main Accommodation desk people having a smoke near the path to the Uni. She ran over to ask for some assistance before we were hooped for the night. His response to our third report of the evening? "What are you doing to that house!?" 

The rest of the week passed much more uneventfully than that day. Monday night Ellie, Harriet and I all headed to the Sloe Fair which was happening in a parking lot right near us. It was quite expensive (three pound a ride) but we still had a great time. We capped off the night with fresh spun cotton candy (or candy floss) and headed home. I found it hilarious that the candy floss started melting a bit because of the moisture in the air. It was a sticky walk back to the house. 
This ride spun us so fast my neck still hurts a bit. 

Harriet and Ellie!

Harriet and I.

Ellie and I.

Stacy, whom I have a ball with in English. We bumped
into each other at the fair. She was quite proud of
winning that dog!

Fresh cotton candy anyone?

This Saturday I am FINALLY making my way up to London! I'll be meeting up with my friend Jane who is going to show me around. I will also finally be getting my replacement computer. I will miss this one but the darn thing isn't reliable anymore. 

Cheers guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment