Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Semester One Done

Hello!

So as of Friday last week, I have officially completed my first semester abroad! It's funny, now that all my essays are in and I'm faced with this big stretch of time until semester two starts, I'm not so sure what to do with myself day to day. If I was back home, I'd be working the holiday rush so my days wouldn't seem so long. In all honesty, the days probably feel so long and boring because I'm waiting for my parents to arrive. They get here TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I'm excited?

Since I've completed the first semester, I think it's a good time to review what I've learned since I got here.

1.) Roommates = Good. Some people might have a different view. I've certainly heard horror stories of roommates past but in my experience I've actually had a blast! Yes,we bicker about dishes, the state of the kitchen, doors slamming and parties keeping people awake but for the most part it's been fun. Even with the bickering no one has ever been outright nasty, and most arguments don't drag out endlessly. Also, you'd think the drama level would be high in a house of girls but most of the drama I've experienced has been outside issues. There has been very few inside the house incidents which has been amazing.

2.) FaceTime is wonderful. I love the fact that I can actually see my parents when I talk to them. Even if it's a five minute call it still helps keep the homesickness at a manageable level. Some days suck, others I don't think of home at all and I think that's because I'm able to actually see home when I call. The world shrinks a bit and it's nice.

3.) If everyone is doing it then why the hell should I? I've had lots of new experiences, some good some not so good. The point is I know who I am and what I like and I don't see the point of doing stupid crap even if other people enjoy it. It's not for me, it will never be for me.

4.) Eat yo damn veggies. Seriously I have no problems eating fruit but I have to remind myself to eat veggies. It's easiest to do the veggies thing if I a.) make a lot of stir fry with a crapload of veggies and b.) prewash, cut, prepare the veggies I do buy so I have no lazyass excuse not to eat them.

5.) No one is going to tell me what is going on so I better figure it out for myself. This one is huge. Most of the time when someone says "I'll email you" or "I'll call you" it'll NEVER HAPPEN! You have to track their lying asses down and get answers. If they won't give you answers straight away you become a permanent pain in their sensitive bits until they give you what you want or pass you off to someone else who can actually help you. Of course when you finally get your stuff be nice and say your pleases and thank-yous so they don't hate you when you have to once again beat an answer out of them.

6.) Everyone is in a permanent state of illness, power through it. Unis are a germ farm. There is no such thing as being "healthy" here. There is only states between illness. Savour those moments.

I'm sure there's more stuff I've learned but my brain isn't coughing any of it up right now.

My parents arrive tomorrow, something I've been looking forward to since I got here. I don't know how regular updates on here will be once they get here. I think there will be one on Christmas Day (as it is a Wednesday) but after that there will be no updates until around the 15th of January. We're going to Paris on the 28th and then the 8th of January is when my parents fly back home. No time to update between then I don't think.

Until next time,
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment