Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Spring in Bath

Hello Hello!

As I told you last week, this past Saturday I went off to Bath. The nice weather held and we got some sun and heat so the four and a half hours of walking around the city was actually really nice. I got a bit of a sunburn actually. Apparently mid march is a time for sunscreen. Who knew!

I only ended up going to see the Roman Baths, because dang the museums are expensive and as cool as the Jane Austin Museum is, £15 for a ticket is a bit much. There was all sorts of outdoor market stuff going on so just wandering around the city was great. The Roman Baths were a lot larger than I thought they'd be. The engineering that went into it is amazing. It was really cool to see the feeding systems that brought the warm spring water into the pools. Only one pool is still filled, the others have had water diverted elsewhere but you can still see where a lot of the rooms were. Really old saunas and such were headed by the water under the floor. There was also a cold dipping pool that has somehow turned into a sort of wishing well. Check out the photos below!

Sadly you can't bathe here anymore.

Roman coin found during the excavation of the site.

View into one of the main water feeds.

Cold pool/wishing well. SO SPARKLY!

Ducks just napping in the sun. People left them bread
but didn't bug them. Hurrah for nice tourists!
Obligatory selfie. 

After the viewing of the Roman Baths, Mariah (a fellow TRU Study Abroad student) and I set out on a walk about and ended up checking out the lock system for all the canal boats. It was surprisingly empty as far as boats go so we thought the season hadn't started yet. Maybe it was a summer thing. It was only after heading farther up the channel when we discovered this:


Some poor fool on a holiday wasn't paying attention while they were pulling their boat through and this happened. It smelled really strongly of gas too so it's likely the propane tanks on board were leaking. Behind this were MANY more boats all backed up until the next morning, when a crane would be by to lift this thing out.
Lock doors. REALLY deep!

Boats, boats, boats!!

I wasn't kidding when I said it was nice out.

The bus ride to and from Bath was about two and a half hours each way. Everyone was sleeping on the bus on the way back. I tried, which was a bad idea because my contacts stuck to my eyes. Ow.

The rest of the week has been spent in class, grocery shopping and running. I didn't realize my running loop is now 5km! I'm really enjoying running here in Chichester. There's lots of different loops I can do to keep my runs from being repetitive and the weather has been quite nice for it. Yes, I do get rained on sometimes but for the most part, it's not that bad. Disneyland Half Marathon 2015 here I come!

Hope you're all doing well back home!

Cheers,
-Kirsten


No comments:

Post a Comment