Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pancakes

Hello once more!

So as you may or may not have been aware, Tuesday was Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday, depending on where you are and what you call it. Essentially, Tuesday was a day for stuffing your face with carbs in the form of pancakes. Back in Canada, this day usually passes without much notice. No one really goes on about it so on the years I'm lucky enough to catch it I get pancakes for dinner, but this doesn't happen every year. Here in the UK? Oh you can't miss pancake day if you tried! Boxes of mix at every store, Facebook posts filled with pancakes and "liked" pages posting their pancake creations. I'm not really sure why pancake day is so much bigger over here than back home. Larger Christian faith? More people still participating in traditional Lent? An intense love of the pancake? Who knows! Any way you look at it, pancakes are a good thing and a day dedicated to eating pancakes is just great. Now, pancakes in the UK are not like fluffy Canadian pancakes. They're pretty much crepes served with lemon and sugar, not syrup. Still tasty but will never replace fluffy buttermilk pancakes in my heart, stomach and various other squishy areas. How bout a picture?

It's a crepe!


What else is going on? I'm going to see The Lego Movie tonight with my friend Stacy for her Birthday. Lego is wonderful and movies are great so sticking the two of them together is magic. I assume. The reviews are good. Today is market shopping day. Harriet and I are in the habit of going to the Chichester Market (like a farmers market) every Wednesday and Saturday to pick up our fresh veggies now. Keeps the fridge stocked with healthy stuff! I know I've mentioned it before but Summer Ball is coming up on May 9th and Hayley was able to get us tickets in the first early bird wave so we paid the cheapest amount. It was still £32.00 but it's better than the £40 that some people have to pay. Everyone is talking about dresses, it's like Grad all over again. I have a dress in my closet I think will work just fine. I'll likely have to find a cheap pair of heels (or flats) somewhere. Maybe I'll get luck in Denmark and find something. Or if that doesn't work out, Primark!

On a more academic note, more assignments have been handed in. I just have one more to get through before starting work on final assessment material. I don't know if I mentioned it at all but this semester I only have two hand in assignments and then two final exams. Last semester was all final essays so I'm oddly excited to find out what the final exam scenario is like over here. I'm certainly liking the classes I have, even if my History of Facism prof is a terrible powerpoint maker. Seriously, who layers black text over a busy black and white photo???? It's a nightmare.

I hope everyone back home is doing well! I miss you guys lots!

Cheers,
-Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment