Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Denmark Trip

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter holiday! I'm happy to report I got my English essay 100% completed, with awesome editing help from my Dad (ain't the internet great) so I'm right on track with finishing my year well. I still have a short story final to write, as well as the 700 word commentary that goes along with it but my tutorial isn't until tuesday of next week so the final edits won't be done until that weekend likely. Other than that I've just had my last Fascism history class and now I know what I'm doing with my notes for the final exam. I have one class left tomorrow for my Drama English class but I've finished the final essay for it so I'm not sure whether or not I need to go to the final class. I have a feeling it'll be a small group even if I do turn up, as a lot of students finished their essays over the break too. 

Okay that's enough of the general updating. Lets talk about Denmark! The train to Gatwick airport on Sunday was ridiculous. There was only four cars on the train and more people than could really fit, so I had to stand for the hour trip smushed like sardines with everyone else. It was a cozy trip. I got to Gatwick and through security with no incident, the Gatwick security is really fast, even with the full body scanner machines. I didn't have to go through one of those things because I didn't beep on the initial detectors. I had about two and a half hours to kill before my flight so I just walked around and looked at things for sale. I swear it's a mall back there. Now that I've done it, I'll be much more calm for heading home in May. 

Anyway, my flight out was delayed by an hour because there was someone who was refusing to get off the plane. Not sure what happened with that but they did have to call security to remove the person. Never a dull moment on Easyjet. The delay actually worked out well because I got into the Copenhagen airport the same time as Kenna so there was no waiting. It was really nice to see her. We talk a lot on Facebook messenger but it's not quite the same. 

The hostel we stayed at was called Generator and was about a twenty minute walk from nearly everything we wanted to see. I actually loved the hostel. We were able to get a double room together with our own bathroom so we didn't have to share dorm style. It was a bit more expensive doing that but it was worth it. The check in and check out process they had was really simple and the building was quite quiet. Apparently Generator is a chain style hostel so I'd recommend it to anyone traveling to Europe. 

As far as our days went, Monday was a bit aimless as we were still getting our bearings. We saw the Round Tower and the Little Mermaid and did a LOT of walking, but it was quite cold and rainy so we decided after dinner to just stay in our room and plan out the rest of our week. The biggest struggle we had with Denmark was prices of things, mostly food. We ended up buying really good bagels for breakfast but we overpaid on lunch several times before getting our act together. Dinner we mostly ate at the hostel because they had great prices (I say great, I mean decent) and more vegetarian options for Kenna. How 'bout some pictures before I keep talking?


The Round Tower. I loved the curve of the floor
going up. 

Great views from the top of the tower!

Carlsberg Brewery tour! Worlds largest collection of 
unopened beer bottles behind me. 

Kenna was an awesome travel partner!

FINALLY saw the Little Mermaid.

Lunch when we went to Tivoli. It was delicious.

Tivoli gates!

The Carlsberg Brewery tour was an awesome morning. We got a bit lost on the bus thanks to directions saying which bus to get on but not which stop to get off at, but we worked it out in the end. The tour itself was quite quick to walk though, even with all the boards to read. Sundays are the only days with a directed tour so we were on our own. I kind of liked it that way, gave us more time to look at the things we wanted to. At the end of the tour we got two free drinks, but a bartender cleaning glasses gave us another drink voucher so we each had two and a half drinks. At 11am. How has my life come to this?? Oh well, it was great. That afternoon we took the train out to see Louisiana Modern Art Museum. I don't really get modern art but the set up of the museum was quite beautiful. Even the landscaping that took you to the outdoor sculptures were exhibits called things like "The Narrow Path". Kenna and I killed ourselves laughing after sitting for twenty minutes watching a video of a McDonald's flooding. We had hoped for some explanation as to why it was done but nope. Just a title card that said "McDonalds Flooding". I don't know why it was so funny, but it was. 

On Wednesday it was hot and sunny so we made our way to Tivoli. It was exactly like what I remember from when I was a kid. I even went on the same roller coaster (The Odin Express) that I went on with Graham. The park was packed, which was nice to see. We ended up getting a massive ice-cream for lunch and then headed off to the National Museum for the afternoon. The whole bottom floor was dedicated to Danish history. We ended up looking at the displays backward but it was still very interesting to see. There were at least four bog bodies on display as well, ones that I've read about in History and Archaeology textbooks. They all seemed a lot smaller than the pictures make them out to be. 

Thursday was spent on a hop on hop off bus tour of Copenhagen, a bit of shopping and getting tattoos. Yes, that's right. I have a tattoo now. For some reason blogger won't let me add the picture I have of it. Not sure what that's about. It was a great way of capping off both 17 years of friendship with Kenna, my year abroad and a trip to Denmark. 

Friday was my flight home. Always leave for your flight with plenty of time because when I was taking the metro out to the airport, something went wrong with our train and we all had to get off at some random stop and wait for a new train to take us to the airport. Some people were panicking but I since I had time to kill all was good. 

Well, that's all I've got. I suppose the last thing to say for this week is Skål!




-Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment