Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Eight Months Gone

Hello!

So it is officially April now which means I have entered my eighth month abroad! Looong time. I think I've been so busy counting down, I haven't really bothered to count the time I've been here up. So what have I learned in eight months?

1.) Your money is ALWAYS SPOKEN FOR. Think you have some "extra" cash? Nope. Because its your turn to buy cleaning supplies or top up your phone or pay for a carpet cleaning service.

2.) I can deal with a LOT more crap than I have myself credit for. Seriously, the amount of hurdles I've made it over is shocking. (Flooding room, breaking computer, grocery stores)

3.) Being an adult means mastering the art of bluffing. If you've convinced people you know what you're doing, don't let them think otherwise. No one knows what they're doing and we're all flying blind while saying we can see perfectly.

4.) The people who make an effort are the ones worth the effort. It's a hard lesson to learn but the last eight months have shown me who I miss, who misses me and what friendships have run their course. No more twisting myself in knots over keeping people around purely because we USED to be friends.  People change and that's not a bad thing.

5.) In the words of Shane Koyczan "Time is passing and you move along with it bit by bit every day." The first moths here dragged and now it's racing by. I swear I was writing my first March blog a few days ago. The point is, bad days and good days all give way to new bad days and good days and I can't wait for the next one.

6.) Parents don't get NEARLY enough thanks. My Ma and Dad have been amazing. They've helped me  just by letting me talk out my anxieties and reminded me of what's important when I need it most. I don't think I'll ever be able to truly express how much I appreciate everything they have done and will do.

And finally

7.) I'm going to be just fine. Seriously. There will always be days I question myself and what I'm doing with my life but on the whole I'm doing just fine.

Wow. That ended up a lot more after school special than I expected. Still, it's all true. I know I've been told a lot of these things before but until you experience it for yourself it never truly connect with any of it.

So what's next for me? Easter break starts next week! As a heads up, I won't be posting a blog update on April 16th because I'll be in Denmark. I will be back to my normal posting schedule on April 23rd with stories of my travels, so expect an extra long post to make up for the missing week. :)

Cheers,
-Kirsten

No comments:

Post a Comment